Destination Expert - Nepal
Vacancy for: Destination Expert
Based: Kathmandu, Nepal
Projects Abroad is a leading international volunteering and internship organization. We recruit students, professionals, families and retirees from around the world to join our worthwhile programs overseas. Since 1992, Projects Abroad has developed programs in 25 countries and now employs over 400 people worldwide. We assist volunteers and interns on their entire journey from their first inquiry, throughout their program, and once they return. Our global team is committed to providing safe and sustainable programs and the opportunity to make a global impact!
We’re looking for a Destination Expert to be a ‘frontline’ liaison with volunteers. You will be responsible for maintaining a relationship with each volunteer for the whole cycle of their experience with Projects Abroad; from the moment they apply, through their pre-departure preparation, while they are in destination and then when they finish their project and you hopefully convert them into active alumni. As a Destination Expert, you will be the main point of contact for each volunteer and will be their confidant and source of advice in and out of destination. Before volunteers arrive in destination, we need to provide them with as much information as possible about their placement, and also receive detailed information from them about their expectations and skills. You will then be able to match volunteer preferences with the needs of the placements. Working closely with all members of staff, as a Destination Expert you must help to build an excellent working relationship with our partners and ensure that the work our volunteers do remains worthwhile for both the local community and the volunteers. You will also ensure that placement information and quality is maintained.
Destination Experts duties include (but are not restricted to) the following:
- Ensure you are familiar with all tasks and responsibilities as set out in the How to Be a Destination Expert guide and ensure all tasks are carried out as instructed in this document
- Point of reference with recruitment offices in matching volunteers to suitable projects
- Ensure all necessary checks are done prior to acceptance and this is done within 3 days after application has been received
- Find out how each volunteer came to join us.
- Create a detailed profile of each volunteer, finding out their likes and dislikes, qualifications, skills and abilities and keep a record of this.
- Ensure all communications (both emails and telephone calls) are carried out on time as per the requirements set out in the How to Be a Destination Expert guide.
- Ensure the Destination Expert checklist is kept up to date at all times
- Make sure that the volunteer joins our social media pages
- Ensure all correspondence with and/or about volunteers is detailed in the specific software
- Ensure that all the destinations accommodation and project details are updated
- Answer all volunteer queries etc. in an accurate, friendly and timely manner (first response always within 24 hours)
- Allocate volunteers to their projects and accommodation at least 1 month before arrival.
- Inform volunteers of other products and services that are available including flights, insurance upgrades, language courses, 1-week add-ons, etc.
- Handle Alumni activities
- Cover for other Destination Experts during holidays
- Ensure website details are up to date
- Manage the Facebook group for your destination
- Deal with Admin related tasks such as visa, flight, insurance or payment issues
- Assist project coordinators where volunteers need extra assistance
Customer service is a major part of this role. You can play a large part in shaping the volunteers’ experience. By being enthusiastic, efficient and supportive, you will assist the volunteers’ integration into the country and the projects they work on. The volunteers should then be able to develop their own, unique experience.
- Hold a Bachelor's degree, preferably in Communication, Business Administration, PR
- Be proficient in the use of MS Office and the Internet
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent customer service and sales background.
- Ability to remain calm and efficient under pressure.
- Meet short deadlines and multi-task
- A team player who enjoys working as part of a team.
- Effective problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Confident with the main social media platforms
- Highly organised and able to plan your time efficiently and independently.
- Flexible and able to take direction and accept feedback.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- International travel/volunteer work or multiple languages would be an advantage
You will be offered a permanent contract, subject to passing a three-month probationary period.
Approximate start date: